Train Exhibit and Lancaster Antique Train and Toy Collection
The Train Exhibit here at the Children’s Museum of Virginia is designed to look like a train depot platform. Railway tracks guide visitors from the “platform area” toward the main Lancaster exhibit and collection. Emerging from the “tunnel” you discover a huge, multi-tiered train layout. Walls of the exhibit room feature even more of the Lancaster antique train and toy collection.
This truly is a favorite for children of ALL ages.
The train exhibit layout is a representation of the state of Virginia and contains four geographical features that are distinctly Virginia:
- the City of Portsmouth
- the City of Roanoke
- the City of Richmond
- the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Numbers of trains in display cases: 814
- Number of trains active in the layout:
- 8 mainlines
- Square feet of track: approximately 610
- Number of people in the display: approximately 500
- Number of animals: approximately 200
- Number of cars: approximately 160
- Number of trees: over 750 hand made trees and over 300 store bought trees